In 1891, the first wing of the “old” hospital was built at 706 South State St. The building was 60x40x30 feet and could accommodate 20 patients. In 1906 the first addition was added to the building and several more additions added throughout the years, engulfing the entire block. In May of 1966 a federal grant was approved for the construction of a new hospital and groundbreaking took place in 1968 with grand-opening in 1971 at its new location along Route 16.
Several years later, the property became the site for the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah Witness. The building was erected over one weekend with several members arriving with excellent and strategic planning. The lumber yard stayed open the entire weekend to allow for completion of the building.
The building was then purchased in November of 2010 by 4 gentlemen in the funeral service industry who wanted to bring affordable options without sacrificing the “call to service” to the community of Litchfield and surrounding areas. A complete interior remodel began to take place and Litchfield Family Funeral Service was established. Every square inch was rethought with our families in mind. Litchfield Family Funeral Service is 100% handicap accessible with a warm, inviting atmosphere that makes you feel at home. Litchfield Family Funeral Service offers a full, functional lounge area, library and conference room that also functions as a child friendly environment, full selection room as well as a state of the art care facility. A grand opening was held in April of 2011 and continues to allow us the facility needed to provide for the families Litchfield Family Funeral Service is honored to serve.